Re: dropping bug-buddy reports for old version of gnome automatically

El mar, 10-04-2007 a las 19:02 -0600, Elijah Newren escribi� On 4/9/07, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:
> > Still, this can be an indication that your fixes are not reaching the
> > affected people.  Maybe you need to explicitly poke the distro(s) in
> > question and tell them, "this fixes a bug that 5000 of your users have
> > reported; can you release a new package through your update channels?".
>
> Which won't necessarily reach them either, as that assumes the users
> will all update their packages and there won't be new installations
> without automatic updates before usage.  (Bug 94625 received duplicate
> filings for _years_ after RedHat pushed out updates to fix the
> problem.  In fact, it received another one just last month.)

Could this happen:

1. bug-buddy tells bugzilla which distro/version you are using, and the
package version/revision.

2. bugzilla tells bug-buddy "I know this has been fixed in
version'/revision' for that distro"

3. bug-buddy tells you, "This bug is already fixed in your distro.
Please update to package-version'-revision'".

This assumes that someone feeds bugzilla with the info it needs to do
(2), but that sounds doable with a little coordination in
distributor-list :)

Or maybe this can't happen during a run of bug-buddy, since the
duplicate bug needs to be triaged.  I don't know if we can steal some
ideas from here to make triaging automatic for frequent crashers:
http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBugz/docs/40/Articles/GetCrashReportsFromUsersA.html

[Are we ensuring that bugs reported through bug-buddy have a valid email
address?  Those bugs would be rather useless for the reporter without
one, because we can't notify the reporter later when the bug is fixed.]

  Federico