Re: online desktop APIs

Hi,

BJörn Lindqvist wrote:
Who are "we"?

Whoever is interested in the project, same as any other open source project. If someone thinks it would be fun to work on then they are welcome, if they don't then they'll work on something else.

It doesn't have to be people working on GNOME right now and it doesn't have to be people from Red Hat. In fact some of the interest has been from people who are neither of those. But obviously GNOME and Red Hat developers are welcome.

I don't think this general direction has to be "the GNOME direction" I see it as more of an offshoot like Maemo or One Laptop.

Then would it be possible to add
some gaming to Mugshot? It would be pretty fun to play Gnometris
against someone over the Mugshot server. Or even better,
GnomeScrabble! Can you imagine how many grandmas would instantly
switch to GNOME if playing scrabble was as easy as Programs -> Games
-> GnomeScrabble??

Absolutely. This was something we looked into starting with in fact, as an initial demo of the "online desktop" idea, the main reason we didn't do it is that when I researched it I couldn't find a game codebase I thought I could modify in only a week or two, it looked like all of them would take more like a month or two to make them work well.

The way I'd approach this is to use some parts of the mugshot server to coordinate the game and choose players, and then probably set up a peer-to-peer connection or switch to a dedicated server to send the actual game moves.

gnome-games has a bunch of network game code already as a starting point, I think it would be awesomer though if there were no configuration; you just start up the game and there's a list of your online friends (same one you see on mugshot.org now or in the bigboard mockups or would see in the "online desktop" IM app). You pick the friends you want to play with and click go and they get an offer to play, even if they aren't running the game. Other friends may see a notification on their desktop that you are now playing, too, and can pile on (assuming it's the sort of game where that makes sense).

There are other games worth network-izing too, one of the best ones is Frozen Bubble unfortunately it is a single giant perl file...

You can also look here to see which games are most popular, at least for the small sample size we have so far:
http://mugshot.org/applications?category=games

  2) it's a "see everything your friends are doing online" application
  in particular, that looks at music people are playing, blog posts,
  facebook activity, new photos, etc. and pulls that together into a
  timeline. It also has links from someone's Mugshot page to their other
  profiles. But it isn't intended to *replace* any of those things.

Why is that useful?

Well, a lot of people are using it and I find it useful or at least entertaining - if you don't find it useful then you don't; not everyone uses every app, and this is just one app.

I'm not sure how to explain how it's useful; I like to see people's music and pictures and things, but if that isn't self-evidently useful to you, maybe the app isn't useful to you. Not a problem.

We really need help on the huge list on
http://developer.mugshot.org/wiki/Where_I%27m_At_Locations by the way
;-) (including adding more to it, and adding more detail on what to
watch on each service, but also of course on implementation!)

I'm sometimes lurking in desktop-devel-list gnome org, does that
count? :) What about game servers and message boards?

Sounds good, yup. We've been meaning to add Wii ID support too...

Also, how do you plan to bridge language barriers? An English
community site is only good for native English speakers.

A needed task for the mugshot.org server is to i18n-ify it; there was a short thread on this in the mugshot list archives.

If you post stuff in non-English it should already work though (we seem to be Unicode clean for the most part, as far as we know - though this was way more work than it should have been because for some reason every piece of web and database infrastructure seems to have the idea that Latin-1 is a reasonable default...)

Someday we might need to filter content in languages people don't understand or something like that, not sure exactly how we'd do so, but I don't think we need to do it until it becomes a problem.

Havoc