Re: Generating excitement in GNOME

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 23:45 +0200, Étienne Bersac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As a developer of one of those alpha module (gnome-scan), i feel quite
> concerned by your proposal. However, i don't see the real change for me.
> Since gnome-scan is published in some distros, i don't fill like
> gnome-scan is underestimated …

The idea is more for publicity of modules.  We could require status
reports for every major release to go in with the release notes.  For
instance I didn't know about gnome-scan but perhaps I was working on a
project that would like to utilize it.  There is an effect that if we
start discussing project in a somewhat official form that others will
feel more comfortable experimenting with the project.

> Anyway, that's always good to hear that i should not deliver gnome-scan
> in a hurry before release. Better to write good software :). I tend to
> make me stress myself about producing the next release :|.

Well we want you to take your time but some pressure to release is not
bad because it is no good if something stays in development mode
forever.  One of the effects of this new module would be to add that
pressure without crushing someone (as a time based release would do for
projects which are not ready for it).  For instance in D-Bus we took our
time to get things right but there was always the pressure of ISV's and
individuals asking when they could rely on it.  We pushed hard for 1.0
but not before we thought it was ready.  As we got closer to that goal
more and more people started using it and put pressure on us to finish.

> Will this imply branch of project (e.g. a branch of evolution
> implementing a scan-to-vCard plugin) ??

Not necessarily but it would give people a signal in the jhbuild and
GARNOME worlds that they should try and enable it for feature testers.

--
John (J5) Palmieri <johnp redhat com>