Re: Rarian and Yelp

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:45 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

> If there's a better list for Rarian, please let me know.  I just
> finished porting rarian-0.5.6 to FreeBSD (lot of Linuxisms), and I'm
> trying to confirm that it's working with Yelp 2.19.1.  However, I can no
> longer see any of my help documents in Yelp.  When I trace yelp, it
> seems to be looking for directories that do not exist (e.g.
> /usr/local/share/help/LOCALE/C).  I don't even see those directories on
> Linux.  Yelp does find all of the OMF files, but it doesn't want to load
> the related help .xml files.
>
> To be clear, OMF files can be found under /usr/local/share/omf and GNOME
> help files under /usr/local/share/gnome/help/<app>/<locale>.  This
> appears to be the same as Linux.
>
> My question is, is rarian supposed to be working now?  Should Yelp be
> finding the help documents?  Right now, Yelp can only successfully find
> GNU info and man pages.  Thanks.

I submitted two crasher patches for librarian yesterday, rarian seems to
work quite fine on linux now. Three side notes though:
- beagle search in yelp no longer builds as of 2.19.1
- simple search crashes with an invalid pointer somewhere in librarian
- yelp doesn't know how to generate the help index anymore, viewing
normal help files is fine though.
IMHO these things should be working before rarian is used as default
documentation system in GNOME. We're still in the early development
process now, so there's time to fix these things.
I'll file some bugs with more information in the weekend so people can
work on it.