Re: GNOME online desktop - (some of the possible) next steps

Hi,

On 7/24/07, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 15:10 -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> >
> >   - sync of browser state (history, bookmarks, cookies, passwords),
> >     like Google Browser Sync but open source and integrated with
> >     everything else (e.g. no need to log in to Google separately for
> >     browser sync and big board)
>
> Bryan mentioned this to me, and the best approach to take right now
> would probably be to get Google to Open Source this piece of code. That
> would at least mean time isn't wasted whilst a volunteer shows up.

I asked Robert to look into this last week, and he says that there's
no plan to open source the browser sync in the "short to medium-term"
but wasn't able to give much of a justification.  When I pressed him
as to whether or not it was fundamentally un-open-sourceable, he said
that it wasn't and that the reason was more roadmap based.

So it looks like we'll need to duplicate the work here, although
putting additional pressure on Google to open source it is also a good
idea.

Joe