Re: MAINTAINERS in svn -- have it or don't get any SVN account approved

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 08:21:53PM -0700, Alex Graveley wrote:
> Just wondering... is there a point to keeping a separate AUTHORS file,
> or should we just svn mv these to MAINTAINERS and update the format?

I think it is good to have separate files. The AUTHORS file has all
developers. The MAINTAINERS has the people who really maintain the
software. E.g., the people who should at least be able to (all items):
 * Make sole decisions about the of your project (extreme example: when
   a maintainer of a project asks to kill the SVN repos on
   svn.gnome.org, there should not be a question of whether that
   maintainer is able to make/approve such a decision)
 * Distribute a release on ftp.gnome.org
 * Have the ability to edit the product on GNOME Bugzilla (add/remove
   components, versions, target milestones, etc)
 * Approve SVN accounts for the project
 * Add/remove other maintainers

Especially for a larger project the maintainers are a small subset of
the who development team (often limited to 1-2 persons).

--
Regards,
Olav