Re: Gnome-panel: "Always beneath" property

On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 08:10 +0400, Nickolay V. Shmyrev wrote:

> I think it's a good idea actually. Probably there is sense to create
> gnome-panel bug and add a patch there for review. It's much easier to
> discuss code than just proposal of feature.
>
> Probably some usability people will give a comment too.

I'm glad somebody's thinking about this; I've often said before that you
should really just be able to run the same applets on the desktop as on
the panel, and have the ability to drag applets between the two (just as
you can already drag launchers between them).  That's slightly different
from your approach, and in mine an applet's UI might optionally have to
change a little when dragged between the two locations (e.g. a clock
might switch from digital on the panel to analogue on the desktop).  But
having to install and learn how to use a whole different set of applets
on the desktop always felt like the wrong solution, to me.

(Personally I don't really *want* things running on my desktop anyway,
as I'd never see them...  but if I did, I'd rather have their
UI/keynav/resources shared between the desktop and the panel).

Cheeri,
Calum.