Re: cleaning up keyrings

Hi,

On 8/28/07, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> I'm not sure anyone's really thought of the conventions behind using
> each field for something specific. You'd need to ask Alex, he wrote it
> after all :)

I am hoping he'll read the thread ;-)

> > Ideally I think we'd allow Gossip and Pidgin to ask something like
> > "give me all XMPP accounts on the keyring," I guess that would use the
> > "protocol" field? Would the results be sane if Gossip or Pidgin
> > "merged" this resulting list of accounts with their own app-specific
> > list of accounts? How should that merge be done? What if you delete an
> > account in the app's account manager screen?
>
> Apps would need to agree on what/how to store it. I guess that right
> now, it's good enough if the app that inserted the details can read it
> back.

That's the point though, I don't think it's really a good situation;
if I create a guest account right now, I have to log in to Google
three times to get it all going, and that's just one example.

Without sharing between apps gnome-keyring doesn't do a whole lot
other than throw up allow-or-deny dialogs like Vista. ;-)

The ideal is that one local login and one online.gnome.org login is
all you need, then your keyring is downloaded and has all other
logins. (yes, it will be optional, to head off the inevitable