Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

On 02/12/2007, Colin Walters <walters redhat com> wrote:

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 15:39 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 14:37 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > And more generally, to have one VM per language type, rather than per
> > app.
>
> There's a lot of security models that break down if everything is tied
> to a single process.

I'm not sure why people are going from "Unify a few Python programs into
one VM" into "We must only have 3 processes total!".

If some application was security sensitive, we could keep it separate.

But fundamentally right now the desktop is still one security domain,
and I don't see that changing in the near future.

> Not to mention a bunch of other problems. It's
> probably better to just fix the VM's.

Far harder - and I think it would likely require language semantics to
change, in particular for Python.

Having one VM for Python applets would not be rocket science.  Someone
just needs to spend the few days on it, and get patches to use it
upstreamed.

So how would this be done? One Python thread to run each applet in? Assuming this then it is pretty far from feasible. Python and GTK threading is not exactly the nicest thing to work with. The slightest glitch and all apps in the loop would block.

Cheers,
Mikkel