Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 20:42 +0000, jamie wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 14:37 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 15:36 +0000, jamie wrote:
> >
> > > Vala of course - http://live.gnome.org/Vala
> >
> > Rewriting every application in another language isn't the answer for
> > resource usage.  Not that Vala is bad, on the contrary it seems nice for
> > some use cases, but in terms of engineering effort it would be far
> > easier to rework various Python applications like deskbar,sealert etc.
> > to run in a single Python process.
> >
> > And more generally, to have one VM per language type, rather than per
> > app.
> >

> so if one app dies your entire desktop dies too?
>
> As far as python goes the big culprit is PyGTK AFAICT - it seems to
> contribute a huge amount of bloat
>
> A better way may be to have the front end of say deskbar in c/c++/vala
> and embed python for the existing plugins (which do not use pygtk
> AFAICT)

If PyGTK is bloated, shouldn't the answer be to fix PyGTK rather than to
rewrite every piece of code using it?

Personally, I hate coding in C - I have better things to do with my time
than to deal with things I don't really have to deal with. And I know
there are a lot of people like me, or else PyGTK etc. wouldn't be so
popular. "Go back to C" just isn't an acceptable option.

	Ethan