Re: WAF (Was: build tools)

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 12:58 +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> 2007/12/3, Nicolas Trangez <eikke eikke com>:
>         On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 11:43 +0000, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
>         > Does anyone has done this mkenum thing with waf already?
>
>         http://git.nicolast.be/?p=waf.git;a=commitdiff;h=e64ff5a6629bdf081c3a2d7ed5326a3fd88e5e28
>
> Cool, do you want me to apply it to mainstream?

Feel free.

>         Might need some more work.
>
>         Anyway, I still need to write up on this, but I'm not
>         convinced waf is a
>         great solution for the overall GNOME project.
>
> Why not?

Need to write up on this, no time now though, sorry. One of the primary
reasons is the lack of crosscompiling support. Overall I think waf could
be used for pretty basic high-level applications and even relatively
small libraries which do not have lots of configure-time variables (ie
projects which got a pretty straight-forward autotools setup nowadays
too), but is not suited (yet?) for more low-level libraries, next to the
fact I'm afraid the lack of documentation of both the internal code and
end-user docs are killers.

Nicolas