Re: system-tools-backends 2.5.4 requires dbus 1.1.2

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 10:28:02PM +0100, Christian Kirbach wrote:
> system-tools-backends 2.5.4 is listed on [1] as an external dependency
> as  both the minimum and recommended version. The tarball depends on
> dbus 1.1.2. However, we have listed 1.0.2 as both minimum and
> recommended versions - we obviously have an issue here.

Yes, the plan (as decided just before your email) is to switch to 1.1.2
if 1.2 is released before GNOME 2.22. However, we need to know first if
dbus 1.2 will be released before that time.

> I modified s-t-b to rely on dbus 1.0.2 and it seems to work fine for
> me; I  am not sure why they require 1.1.2 by default.

As answered by Carlos Garnacho:
| Oh, right, didn't notice that it wasn't a dependency in jhbuild... s-t-b
| is using now DBus 1.1.2 for system bus activation. Before, s-t-b was
| spawning a private session bus in order to raise on demand its
| configuration modules, which was fairly hackish compared to the current
| usage.
|
| If GNOME 2.22 isn't going to depend on DBus 1.1.x/1.2.x, I can revert
| this change for s-t-b 2.5.x and wait for the next unstable cycle, as it
| isn't quite visible from the users' point of view, but I'd obviously
| prefer it to use system bus activation :)

> I also tried modifying jhbuild to use dbus 1.1.2, but then we get
> warnings  in at least gnome-keyring (and I suspect a few other
> modules) because of the use of deprecated dbus symbols.

Those should just be fixed when the dependency is changed.

> Thus I ask you to decide on how to act on this.

Depends if dbus 1.2 is released on time. If so, we'll switch. Otherwise
system-tools-backends has to revert to the old activation method.

--
Regards,
Olav