Re: An idea about a webcam....

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 09:44 -0500, Adam Schreiber wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Jason Brower <encompass gmail com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 09:18 -0500, Adam Schreiber wrote:
> > > I'm not sure that all this is necessary.  If the drivers are
> > > available, HAL should attach the webcam to /dev/videoX and then
> > > gstreamer should be able to attach the video source to anything on the
> > > desktop that needs it.  At that point, the messenger clients simply
> > > need to handle the various protocol's quirks with respect to sending
> > > video.
> > But it isn't done... I personally don't have the programming knowledge
> > to use HAL and Gstreamer.  Though I am sure I could learn.  This is the
> > first steps of making this work.  Adn most messege programers have no
> > intend on creating a video part for their clients.  They jsut want the
> > text.  And let someone else do the video.  That is why I am doing this.
>
> I'm not sure where your assertion that "most messege programers have
> no  intend[sic] on creating a video part for their clients" comes
> from.  While the merge has been delayed, I believe the plans for gaim
> still include adding the code from gaim-vv after 2.0 is finally
> released.  While this is a solution for one client, the code for
> individual protocols should probably be pushed lower into libraries
> that all of the clients can use.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam
Oh,
I thought gaim never intended on every incororating video or sound.
Guess I was wrong, sorry.
As for the librairies, how could you create a standard out of 5
protocals when each one plays with the data completely different.  I
just feel it is a waist of time trying to chase code that isn't even
open in the end anyway.  We have to crack the code just to get things to
work.  Why not create our own.  That is my ultimate idea here.
(I hope you understand that I am just trying to understand things better
here... I am not trying to flame.
Jason Brower