Re: New Control Centre

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 11:49 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 08:29 -0500, JP Rosevear wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes and its fairly easily fixed with tracker once I add .desktop file
> > > indexing to it
> >
> > They are already indexed in beagle, so it would be fairly easy to do
> > this with libbeagle right now, but you'd still have to mimic all the
> > tree building code with the categorizations in gmenu.
>
> I probably wouldn't use Beagle or Tracker to solve this problem.  A
> simple on-disk mmap()able cache similar to what we do with fonts would
> probably work fine, and you wouldn't have to depend on a
> potentially-not-there running service and have a second codepath to also
> support the inevitable fallback.

wont you still suffer form disk access penalty still?

reading 1000 files = 10 second delay (assuming 10ms access time on disk)

and mmap eats as much memory as loading them into RAM (as soon as you
scan enough pages which is more than likely since linux typically block
reads 255 pages at a time into its read-ahead buffer)