Re: gnome-keyring should use DBus for discovery

Alexander Larsson wrote:

> I don't like using dbus-glib-1. That is an ABI unstable library that we
> don't want to use at this level of the stack. (It would make all gnome
> apps depend on an unstable library...) The way I solve this in gvfs is
> to have a copy-paste of the mainloop integration (actually I made my own
> version).

This raises an interesting point - how can we get dbus-glib to the
usablilty it should be? I could make it ABI stable right now, if needed,
but there's still an awful lot that should change, especially in terms
of being able to demarshal into types of the users choosing. Maybe we
could make the next dbus-glib a 1.0 release with proper shlib
versioning, and branch for a 2.0 version which makes it more usable.

Opinions?

Rob Taylor