Re: gnome-vfs-2.17.91 hard dependency on gnome-mime-data

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 09:30 +0100, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 17:54 +0100, Fryderyk Dziarmagowski wrote:
> > You can safely remove PKG check from configure and build g-vfs without
> > smallest problems. You can even run all major GNOME apps without it.
> > Forcing people to use something that is not needed it's IMO wrong.
>
> You can do all sorts of shit manually if you want. That doesn't change a
> single thing. We enforce backwards compatibility.

The API is still callable even if gnome-mime-data isn't installed. And
having gnome-mime-data installed is only marginally useful in terms of
gnome_vfs_application_registry_* return values. Eg, if I'm looking for
an application to handle a PDF file, gnome-mime-data lists acroread,
ggv, gv, and xpdf. I don't have *any* of those apps installed on my
system. So if I ask gnome-vfs-application-registry for a pdf handler, it
doesn't matter whether I have gnome-mime-data installed or not, because
it's not going to find an application either way.

-- Dan