Re: Proposed module: gnome-main-menu

On 1/9/07, Steve Frécinaux <nudrema gmail com> wrote:

-1 too.

It's of no use, and worse than other ways of achieving the same
functionnalities.

Its much quicker for different ways of working with menus. I no longer
have to hoke through menus to find what I want, and using a trackpad I
often have issues with menus disappearing or the wrong one opening.

(Note that I don't have beagle, and that beagle is not
part of GNOME anyway)

Whats this got to do with anything? Seems a silly strawman arguement.

So, a few rants (using gmm from edgy, sorry if it has changed since):

   - "favourite apps" seems limited to 6.

I've got 8 in it currently.

But I use:
     - xchat-irc, gajim, liferea and such daily
     - epiphany, thunderbird, devhelp, gedit, terminal, matlab, pepito,
       "home folder" every now.
     So that makes obviously more than 6, and those are more easily and
     quickly available from launchers in the panel. One less click.

Thats 10. I've just added another load of applications to my menu, its
now got 12.
I can only imagine how much panel space 12 application launchers would take up.
*shrug* I don't think its much of an arguement against it.

     And, as Alan pointed in another mail, "favourite" is not a good
     word: I really don't like pepito.

Thats not a very big issue really?

   - "places" is very limited (contains only "computer", "network",
     "home" and "cd burner"). Places menu allows me to access all my
     local bookmarks and remote locations with one click and, at worst,
     one submenu.

As has been mentioned before having a Places menu might help here.
The rest of your complaints are really stylistic issues.

iain