Re: Proposed module: tracker

On 1/11/07, BJörn Lindqvist <bjourne gmail com> wrote:

> That again doesn't answer the "what do we want this for?" question.
> We seem to be shoehorning it in like we did with Bonobo 6 years ago.
> We put it in, at a very deep level, and then found out that it
> wasn't what we needed and that no-one wanted to use it.

I think there is some confusion about what desktop search is.

I think most people know perfectly well what desktop search is.

<snip cute little story>

the problem is that we havent defined what we want from a desktop
search, so how do we know that tracker is what we want/need as the
solution? How do we know that iains-magic-desktop-search[1] isnt
better suited for the job.

We dont need people to get excited about tracker. We need people to
explain what is needed from a desktop search before we can even
consider tracker. Your little story, cute as it was, presumed that the
solution was tracker.

People got excited by Bonobo 6 years ago, I know I did. We looked for
all sorts of places Bonobo could be used and we made them use Bonobo
even when Bonobo wasn't in any way the best solution. We are now
suffering for that excitement.

iain