Re: Proposed module: tracker

Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

  IMHO, an ideal indexing program would receive file add/modify/delete
notifications and record these notifications in a work queue for later
processing.  Then, when the user logs out or the screen is locked the
indexer starts processing the notifications, until the moment a user
logs in or screen is unlocked, at which time it stops.  That wouldn't
disturb me so much.  We we have utmp records for login/logout, and D-BUS
notifications for screen lock/unlock; this is doable, I'm sure.

yes we can do that - I also think if we make it as unobtrusive as possible (even if it slows the rate of indexing quite a bit) then it should be more acceptable.

we already have a --turbo command line option for doing indexing as fast as possible for those that want that so maybe the default mode can just spend more time sleeping and only intermittently index at a leisurely pace. This should make it more comfortable to work with especially if you have a noisy hard disk or noisy cpu fans.

anyway thanks for your thoughts...

--
Mr Jamie McCracken
http://jamiemcc.livejournal.com/