Re: [announce] gnome-proxy

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 23:05 -0500, Nathaniel McCallum wrote:
> I'd like to announce a proof-of-concept I've been working on and
> hopefully get some feedback/help moving forward.
>
> gnome-proxy (http://code.google.com/p/gnome-proxy/) is a replacement for
> gnome-network-preferences with the following added features:
>   * Per-network proxy settings (via NetworkManager)
>   * Support for the widely deployed WPAD and PAC non-specs
>   * Easy D-Bus API providing optional (soft) dependency
>   * Automatic profile switching (via NetworkManager)
>   * The goal of JustWorks (no manual proxy configuration/switching)
>
> gnome-proxy-daemon is a user-session daemon that provides the D-Bus
> method org.gnome.Proxy.getProxy(url).  All the details of proxy settings
> are hidden behind that D-Bus call.  Applications would no longer need to
> correctly parse various gconf keys, but just simply call one method.
> Additionally this handles NetworkManager network-switching as well as
> auto-updating the old gconf keys for backwards compatibility with
> gnome-network-preferences.

My main worry is performance. Each access to a url would need an out of
process call to a possibly contended daemon. Say you're listing a folder
with 2000 files in nautilus. Thats at least 2000 out of process calls
(stat for each file), and likely a lot more for thumbnailing and other
details.

And we pay this penalty even in the "no proxy configured" case, because
there is no way for the client to know there is no proxy configured atm.

I don't think any API as simple as this is viable, at least for use for
e.g. gnome-vfs. There has to be a way to be able to cache the results of
proxy lookups.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a bookish bohemian paramedic looking for 'the Big One.' She's a
sharp-shooting nymphomaniac socialite operating on the wrong side of the law.
They fight crime!