Re: pulseaudio vs gnome

On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 16:26 -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-20, Damon chaplin wrote:
> > Before it goes in I'd like to see a clear roadmap for audio in GNOME,
> > with support for things from simple beeps up to pro-audio apps.
> >
> > I guess this means gstreamer, PulseAudio and JACK. Is that the plan?
>
> Wait wait wait wait wait. Are you suggesting that all this will be GNOME
> technology? I thought the whole idea was to say that audio is a system
> thing? Because it is! On Linux, there is alsa, and if you need
> software-mixing, then there is dmix, and I'm sure stuff doesn't work for
> non-Linux, thin clients and some hardcore dudes and those that
> apparently can't even get their audio working (and then they blame
> dmix), so there's jack or pulse (and/or both?) for them. So GNOME should
> include all of that? Please no!

I just want it to be possible to use & develop audio applications on top
of GNOME (without fiddling about to make it all work).

I'm not saying JACK should be part of GNOME, though maybe it should
become a dependency - it does seem to be used by most audio apps.

We have all the technology to produce a decent audio platform. Why not
just connect it all together and get it to work out-of-the-box?

Damon