Re: pulseaudio vs gnome

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 21:48 +0900, Davyd Madeley wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 23:36 +0000, Damon Chaplin wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-01-19 at 11:36 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > > Hey, I just wondered what the current state of affairs is in the
> > > esound -> pulseaudio transition. I found a wiki page
> > > (http://live.gnome.org/PulseAudio?highlight=%28pulse%29),
> > > but I'm not sure how uptodate it is.
> > >
> > > Is this something that we can still complete for 2.18 ?
> > > Is anybody working on this ?
> >
> > Before it goes in I'd like to see a clear roadmap for audio in GNOME,
> > with support for things from simple beeps up to pro-audio apps.
> >
> > I guess this means gstreamer, PulseAudio and JACK. Is that the plan?
>
> Lennart, who develops PulseAudio, recently spoke about it at
> linux.conf.au:
>
>   http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/linux.conf.au/2007/video/talks/211.ogg
>
> (disclaimer, I don't know what the video quality is like)
>
> He speaks about what PulseAudio can do, why you'd chose it over
> technology X and how it might integrate with specific problem domain
> technologies, such as Jack. Might clear some things up.

Yes, thanks. It's a very good talk.

Lennart agrees that JACK is still needed for pro-audio apps, and that
PulseAudio should work alongside it in some way (or possibly even merge
with it in the future). Though the details were a bit sketchy.

Hopefully we can get him to clarify it a bit more at some point.

Damon