Re: Remove libgnomeui where possible?

It's not that tricky to copy and paste the libgnomeui code that handles
sigsegv and calls bug-buddy, the code is pretty small.  I'd do that.
Maybe GTK+ should have a hook for a process to call on sigsegv...

That's obviously the right thing to do. Same goes for Help support.

Copy pasting in the app itself is uglier imho than having another egg module. The latter would at least be co-maintained by those who need it and easier to sync among apps using it.

These are the functions I remember needing to c/p for being (partially) independent of libgnomeui in various programs:

* gnome_help_display() - replaced by g_spawn_xxx
* gnome_url_show() - ditto
* gnome_password_dialog (ex: in gnome-mount), repaced by a 4 file copy paste from libgnomeui * various gnome_vsf URI functions which have glib equivalents (ex: in gnome-system-tools)

And there is the new eggsmclient module which I have tried but not yet submitted patches to any module. (Which regardless of whether keeping XSMP or dropping it is the best idea for the future it helps lessen this memory usage problem)

Also there are other uses of libgnomeui APIs with gtk equivalents but have not yet been switched.

Almost any module maintainer will surely find at least some such bits in his/here code.

Jani