Re: .so versions

Le samedi 14 juillet 2007, à 12:01 -0600, Elijah Newren a écrit :
> On 7/13/07, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> > I've stopped changing the --version-info in gtkmm at all since a couple
> > of years ago to avoid problems, but I'd really like a simple set of
> > instructions about what to do in our most common cases, with examples of
> > actual --version-info numbers before and after.
>
> Yes, this is badly needed, IMO.  I've had complaints that I changed
> libwnck .so versions too much.  But I couldn't figure it out from the
> comments in various configure.(ac|in) files either.

Here's what is in gnome-panel:

# Before making a release, the LT_VERSION string should be modified.
# The string is of the form C:R:A.
# - If interfaces have been changed or added, but binary compatibility has
#   been preserved, change to C+1:0:A+1
# - If binary compatibility has been broken (eg removed or changed interfaces)
#   change to C+1:0:0
# - If the interface is the same as the previous version, change to C:R+1:A

LIB_PANEL_APPLET_LT_VERSION=2:20:2

libwnck has some similar comments, but they're less clear (IMHO).

Murray, is this set of instructions clear enough?

> Going one step further...it'd also be really nice to have some
> automated tool to verify whether I made the right changes.  (Perhaps
> that could be run as part of make distcheck?)

100% agree. I believe some packagers are running some test to see if the
API or ABI has changed. We could perhaps start from this?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.