Window Positioning for a Java App

I have a Java app that I use on a regular basis (JEdit). In this application I tend to have a window open for each file I am editing (it is only one program running with just different views of the various buffers opened).

Whenever I tell JEdit to create a new view it always opens directly on top of the current window. This is really annoying as I then have to drag that window off so I will know there is a window below it.

I'm not sure if this is Gnome (Metacity), Java or JEdit's responsibility but I figured I would start here on trying to get the issue resolved.

My ideal would be for each window to open somewhere else on the screen in the same way opening a different application works.

Eric