Re: Thoughts on patch for gcalctool bug #448263

On Jun 18, 2007, at 4:08 AM, Don Scorgie wrote:
We're currently working on yelp (really, we are working on it!).  It's
hoped that soon, there will be a mechanism to launch yelp through dbus
and improved the handling of starting through the command line.  This
will have an advantage for modules wanting to drop libgnome.  Yelp will
handle all parsing of uris. One thing I've been contemplating is how to handle invalid requests (i.e. asking for a non-installed document). If yelp handles it, it simplifies translators lives (as the strings won't occur in every module) and would improve consistency (error message is the same every time). However, would this look out-of-place (i.e. will the popped up unexpectedly placed)?.

Yes it would ... regardless of where it was placed. People distrust computerized help at the best of times. If you want someone to never use the help in any Gnome program ever again, putting up an error message when they click a Help button is an *excellent* way of doing it. ;-)

It's inevitable that occasionally programs will link to help pages that don't exist, or that help pages will link to other pages that no longer exist. But that's the kind of error that should be displayed only to developers, not to other users. Users should be shown relevant search results as a fallback instead.

You can achieve this by giving the API for opening a particular help document two mandatory arguments (and giving the internal hyperlink syntax in Mallard two required attributes): one being the URI of the document, the other being relevant search terms for Yelp to fall back to if the document doesn't exist.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/