Re: Updating our list of GNOME contributors

Hi Thomas!

Am Mittwoch, den 07.03.2007, 12:50 +0000 schrieb Thomas Wood:

> > I suggest we give MacSlow (CC'ed) till the end of the week to come up with
> > something uber sexy.  I'll give it a lame try if he doesn't.
>
> I thought this was GNOME we're talking about. We do professional
> software, not pointless eye-candy, right? I'm not saying professional
> looking software has to be boring, but there seems to be a tendency to
> go over the top with GL effects on the desktop at the moment.

	The plan is to stick to pure gtk+/cairo for any effect-work. This is
two-fold:

1.) The spread of GL-capable systems with proper drivers is still
minimal I would guess. Even more so for the composited case looking at
the state of X.org and OSS-drivers.

2.) gtk+/cairo are two core technologies of the GNOME-platform. It is a
good idea to provide end-users, interested 3rd-party developers a nice
single spot to see what power (graphics-wise) resides in the system they
are sitting in front of. Something like gnome-about is far better suited
for this than the average utility- or helper-program of GNOME.

	Furthermore I hope to get some design input from folks from gnome-art
and/or the tango-project. It would help me with the work on this as I
don't have much spare-time slots left unallocated :)

	BTW, please don't fall to the false assumption that a possible use of
OpenGL would equal to "over-the-top-polygons-in-your-face" like some
beryl videos on the net suggest :)

Best regards...

Mirco "MacSlow" M�
--