Re: Roadmapping 2.20 and so on

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 21:12 +0100, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> If I'm allowed to make a suggestion for a general roadmap item for
> 2.20 which spans multiple modules it would be "desktop wide search"
>
> Currently the GNOME 2.18 desktop contains two search front ends
> 1. gnome search tool
> 2. search in nautilus
>
> Then there are "two search engines" (actually there are more but these
> ones are the most popular in GNOME) which have there own front end.
> 1. tracker
> 2. beagle
>
> My suggestion would be to have only one front end and have a pluggable
> backend (a user can either use tracker or beagle)

no, please, don't start the beagle vs tracker debate again :-)

But yes, I agree with you. The authors of those search engines should
come up with a common solution for all (without bombing this list if
possible :-). Maybe a generic interface that can easily be replaced or
whatever, but we should have live search available for applications, and
use that in gnome-search-tool, nautilus and any other app that needs it.
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>