Re: GNOME 2.20 Python version

On Ter, 2007-03-13 at 09:42 +0100, Lo�Minier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2007, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> >   I'd like to suggest updating jhbuild to install Python 2.5 instead of
> > 2.4 for GNOME 2.20, because:
> >   * I don't think Python 2.4 will continue to be maintained;
> >   * Distributions that will receive GNOME 2.20 will most likely make
> > python 2.5 the default (ubuntu already does for GNOME 2.18);
> >   * We could really use the testing of GNOME on Python 2.5, especially
> > on 64-bit systems.
>
>  My understanding is that you're trying to do some Python QA in the
>  jhbuild moduleset, but what's the point of testing Python in GNOME?
>  Shouldn't the focus be on the GNOME stack instead of its dependencies?

  My point is to test GNOME modules when built against (or running on
top of) Python 2.5.  As you know, the Python API for extensions changed
substantially for python 2.5 and amd64, and I'm tired of always being
the one to find all the bugs in extensions derived from this change
because not many people seem to test GNOEM modules with Python 2.5 in a
64 bit system.

>  (While we're at it: Debian still has Python 2.4 as default.)

  When the time comes for Debian to receive GNOME 2.20 packages, do you
expect it to still be using Python 2.4, considering that Python 2.4 is
already now deprecated upstream?

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
The universe is always one step beyond logic