Re: GNOME 2.20 Python version

On 3/14/07, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-03-13 at 12:52 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> If a program works correctly with Python 2.4, is there
> actually a danger of it not working correctly with 2.5?
> That sounds broken.

Python 2.4 and 2.5 install in parallel so already-built applications
will not be broken.

In the past, when we included python 2.4 in the jubuild bootstrap
module I had lot of problems when building/running python programs on
FC. I think that different compilation options resulted in binary
incompatible python modules (some UCS size or something like that)

1) when running my jhbuild session, trying to run a system python
program like yum didn't work, because it was using python from jhbuild
and tried to load a module (.so) from system python, that where
incompatible

2) For building some apps under my jhbuild environements I had to
compile a lot of external python modules to make the app build,
because python from jhbuild refused to use my system dir modules. Some
of them were pyrex, twisted, numeric, etc...

So, questions:
a) Is the binary incompatibility depending on configure options stills present?
b) if yes, could we build python 2.5 in jhbuild autodetecting and
matching system python configuration?

Thanks!

Salu2