Re: Desktop sounds in Gnome

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 15:38 +0100, Brian Nitz wrote:
> I know this can be done per application, but wouldn't it be fun to
> unify, remove some redundant code and allow for a common user
> interface?

Sure. What about re-using an existing component: notification-daemon.

At the moment, it displays a notification balloon pointing the icon.

Why not modify notification daemon to be able to play a sound either
with, or instead of, the notification window.

Then applications like g-p-m can just add a simple "hint" to the
libnotify API call with a sound such as "system-failure" and then
notification-daemon can take care of the selection of the correct wav
file (according to bango theme), and the actually playing.

This way we don't have to invent another desktop session daemon, and we
cover most of the common use cases. All the gstreamer linking, and
soundcard intelligence can be done in one simple daemon.

Would that work?

Richard.