Re: normalizing filenames and strings

On 3/28/07, Xavier Bestel <xavier bestel free fr> wrote:
On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 16:46 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> In practice i don't think there is an enourmous problem. Most files are
> either selected in the fileselector/filemanager (so we don't care about
> normalization, just the filename bytestring that was selected) or for
> new files, typed into the file selector.If the fileselector can do some
> normalization for typed-in names we shouldn't really in normal use cause
> any "duplicate" unnormalized filenames.

The more I think about it, the more I think filenames should be
normalized with NFC when created, in addition with checking for
existing equivalents for name conflict. The W3C's motivations to NFC
as early as possible seem very reasonable.

IMHO the only work needed to handle this is in all filename-selection
widgets, which should do completion based on similar unicode names (like
the fileselector does already for names differing only by case).

The Gtk fileselector already offers canonically equivalent names with
autocompletion thanks to GtkEntryCompletion already doing the right
thing (here normalization and casefolding).

Denis Moyogo Jacquerye