Re: New GNOME Dependency Proposal: libgcrypt

On 5/6/07, Christopher Aillon <caillon redhat com> wrote:
Alberto Ruiz wrote:
> 2007/5/6, Diego González <diego pemas net>:
>> I think gnome should choose on of the libraries and stick to it instead
>> of using the three of them.
>
> Summarizing, you are asking evo developers to port it to gcrypt/gnutls,
> isn't it?

No.  Doing that means you lose any chance of getting Evo/Gecko into some
financial institutions/government agencies.

One of the major points of using NSS is that it has undergone FIPS
validation[1] three times by NIST and is currently in process of getting
a fourth validation.  It's had years of documented testing and
certification and this is a major selling point to some people.  Using
NSS grants you this certification automatically, so I'd say that apps
should start using NSS.

Another advantage of nss is that it already has a working, shared cert
storage. No need to reinvent the wheel here...