Re: Rise of the Plugins

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 12:46 -0500, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 19:41 +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 18:26 +0200, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > > Plugin vs extension?
> > [...]
> > > My €0.02: I think that people are getting used to the Extension term,
> > > and it sounds less geeky.
> >
> > Extension has the advantage that there's only one way to spell it (as
> > opposed to plugin vs plug-in).
> >
> > A minor point,
>
> Not that I'm disagreeing, but it's worth pointing out that the
> GNOME Documentation Style Guide (which doubles as terminology
> guidelines for the entire desktop) has had "plugin" as the
> recommended spelling for quite some time.

How would esr's aunt Tilly take that? M-W redirects to "plug in":

Main Entry: plug in
Function: verb
intransitive verb : to establish an electric circuit by inserting a plug
transitive verb : to attach or connect to an electric receptacle (as an
outlet)

As opposed to plug-in:

Main Entry: plug-in
Pronunciation: 'pl&g-"in
Function: adjective
: designed to be connected to an electric circuit by plugging in <a
plug-in toy> <a plug-in circuit board>

And:

Main Entry: ex·ten·sion
Pronunciation: ik-'sten(t)-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin extension-, extensio, from
Latin extendere
1 a : the action of extending : state of being extended b : an
enlargement in scope or operation <tools are extensions of human hands>

And btw the GNOME Documentation Style Guide link on
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gdp/styleguide.html seems to be
broken.

--
behdad