Re: [gst-devel] Why is gstreamer not an external dependency?

On 22/05/07, Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas apestaart org> wrote:

> > Definitely a good question to mull over.  I don't have a good answer.
> > Maybe someone else does.
>
> Well, to me, it makes totally sense to have a multimedia framework in
> GNOME since many applications are dealing with multimedia.
>
> I believe the goal is to move GStreamer to the platform once it becomes
> API-stable.

For all intents and purposes, GStreamer *is* API-stable.  You will
always have an API-stable GStreamer 0.10 to link against.  If 0.12 or
1.0 comes out, even if the API doesn't change, configure.ac files need
to be updated to find it.  0.10 will happily coexist with 0.12 and 1.0

If you don't break the API in the next series, why would you make a
change that requires every application to be updated to take advantage
of the new release?  Doesn't that just make work for everyone?

I think it is great that you make incompatible release series parallel
installable with different sonames, but it seems weird to break the
build if everything is otherwise compatible.

James.