Re: .desktop files shipping the obsolete "Application" category

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 02:55 +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before I start filing bug reports I would like to know, if you (GNOME)
> still use the "Application" category, that I can find in almost
> all .desktop files you ship. The category AFAIK is some old relict of
> GNOME <= 2.4 and not a valid nor registered category following the
> current freedesktop.org specification, which is AFAIK supported since
> 2.4 - 2.8. Now GNOME reached 2.18 and I can still find this category. So
> is it still used somewhere? If yes, is it necessary? If no: How do you
> handle muss bug-filing normally?

There was a GNOME Goal about removing the "Application" category shortly
before 2.18 was released. Most probably, not all the applications in the
release set fixed this right in time.

The progress of this goal can be found here:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/ApplicationCategory

Claudio

--
Claudio Saavedra <csaavedra alumnos utalca cl>