Re: build systems

On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 18:20 +0100, Emmanuel Fleury wrote:
> Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> >
> > I coded distcheck into WAF a couple of months ago.  It wasn't even a
> > difficult task...
>
> What about gettext support ?
>
> See: http://code.google.com/p/waf/issues/detail?id=51

What potentially excites me about a new build system is the ability to
extend it to do tasks specific to GNOME. If you are doing standard .c
to .o compilation and linking into executables, then automake really
isn't that bad. But where our current stuff gets awful is:

 * intltool, gettext, [glib-]gettextize
 * gtkdoc and gtkdocize
 * GTK+ marshaller and enumeration generation

And so forth. No phrase fits our solutions to these situations other
than "hack tower".

- Owen