Re: gnome-keyring and dbus

Sorry, just saw this now...

Ross Burton wrote:
> I think the original rationale for the design is that DBus activation
> isn't how gnome-keyring should be started: it should be started in the
> session.

Yes, currently the preferred method is to start it from the login via
PAM. This allows it to automatically unlock and not pester the user for
yet another password.

> Being able to find the daemon via DBus is for when the
> environment variables are not present for some reason.  I'm not
> convinced this is a good argument and would like to see it started via
> DBus activation

Yes, that's certainly possible, and may be something to include with
2.22. But DBus activation of gnome-keyring will always be a secondary
method to used when the user's session and/or distro is not setup properly.

Cheers,
Stef Walter