Re: pulseaudio

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 09:42 -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Sound daemons are old-fashioned, unnecessary and unwanted. We have
> better solutions and should use them instead.

Except that basically all consumer hardware today relies on software
mixing [1]. So "just use ALSA", basically means "use dmix as your sound
server" and then you're arguing whether dmix or PA is the best sound
server for GNOME.

Let's see.. now you can go argue that Pro users (those with expensive
multi channel sound cards etc.) won't like this [2].. but I'm not sure
you want to build your case of "PA is not right for GNOME" based on Pro
audio users.

      David

[1] : just go look at sound cards coming out today. Or go read the ALSA
driver source code or look at their mailing lists; it's all one channel
because it's such a waste of silicon to do this in hardware when you can
offload it to the host CPU.

[2] : these people tend to use Jack anyway and actually PA plays well
with others; see e.g. pasuspender(1)