Re: a11y module proposal: MouseTweaks (i.e.: software click)

On 12.10.2007 21:37, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 18:08 +0200, Jens Granseuer wrote:
> The accessibility keyboard capplet is going to go away. Discussion isstill
> ongoing (on gnomecc-list) about where it will go, but it seems
> likely there will be a unified "keyboard" or "keyboard and mouse" thingy
> that those settings will be merged into.
[snip]

We saw some of this change already in 2.20. What was the reasoning, by
the way? Don't people need a central place to configure the desktop
appropriately for a disabled person?

I'll assume by the changes in 2.20 you mean the parts that migrated from
at-properties to preferred applications. Those changes were, for all I know,
proposed and executed by people from the a11y camp, and certainly not driven
by the g-c-c maintainers, so they could probably explain their reasons
better, but I believe these were the most important:

1) don't make the a11y stuff a second-class citizen, ie. having those options
separate from the "normal" ones conveys the impression that "these are the
options for disabled people". Many of those options can be useful for people
without disabilities, too, though.

2) we have too many capplets

I don't think having one central place to configure all things a11y is
sound. E.g. if you look at what's been proposed here, we would have
"general a11y", "keyboard a11y", "mouse a11y". How's that different
from having the respective a11y options integrated in "keyboard",
"mouse", and "preferred apps" (or wherever else they belong).

Jens