Re: linuxMint's gnome-menu

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 12:43 -0500, Benjamin Gramlich wrote:
> > Do you mean the one pictured <http://linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/celena/mintmenu.png>?
>
> Yeah, that's the one. Sorry I wasn't more clear and didn't attach a link
> to a picture. It's not a drop-in replacement for the current gnome-menu,
> but it has some excellent features:
>
> 1) The search field
> 2) You can mouse over Submenus to pull up the menuItems
> 3) It's pretty
> 4) The favourites menu
>
> It's written in python right now, and it's a little unresponsive at
> times when other programs are running.
>
> Also, since the gnome control center seems to be aiming to incorporate
> all the Preferences and Administration capplets, we could eventually
> remove these Submenus from the gnome-menu and have just the control
> center available. In any event, if the gnome-menu does undergo a
> redesign, it'd probably best to implement it first as an option between
> the "classic" menu and the "new" menu.

you are describing gnome-main-menu, which is already in GNOME's SVN and
whose code (part of) is already being used in the control-center. And it
does everything you listed here.

If we are going to use something like this, let's use what we already
have available
--
Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org>