Re: gnome power manager inhibit

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 23:15 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Well, we've discussed quite a few ways of doing this in the past -
> kpowersave just checks a blacklist of processes which is completely
> wrong way to do it in my opinion. Having a nice interface lets us do
> clever things.

(Yeah, at least at one point it was grepping the process list for things
like mplayer. Completely insane.)

> Well, over time more and more stuff uses these interfaces. I think
> brassereo (sp?) already uses the interface when burning a CD. It's
> probably a 10 line patch to add this functionality into applications.

The original poster specifically mentioned non-GNOME applications. So it
might be useful to point people to the freedesktop.org specification
covering it. For the record, it's here

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/power-management-spec

However, the latest version

http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/power-management-spec-0.2.html

says the Inhibit API is optional. Maybe that's not a problem though;
applications should be able to cope with it.

Richard, to help sell the Inhibit API, what other power management
gizmos than g-p-m implements the spec and Inhibit interface?

      David