Re: Proposal: swfdec-gnome

On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 12:27 +0200, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose swfdec-gnome for inclusion into the GNOME 2.22
> desktop. Swfdec-gnome is a recent addition to the Swfdec project [1].
> Its purpose is integration of Flash files into the Gnome desktop. It
> currently provides a thumbnailer and a playback application for local
> files similar to the stand-alone application Adobe ships on Windows.
> It is supposed to replace the support that is currently provided via
> the Swfdec 0.3 GStreamer plugin/Totem.

This is now disabled in Totem, fwiw.

Moving swfdec to the GNOME infrastructure sounds like a very good idea,
but I'm not sure what the real need is for running Flash files on the
desktop.

Saying that, it would be nice to see some integration in there such as:
- running a Flash game, and being able to click on a menu item to add
the game to the applications game sub-menu
- running a Flash animation, and being able to set it as a screensaver
- running a Flash animation and being able to save a still image, set as
a background or open that still image in an application that supports it

There's still the problem of getting the Flash file from the browser to
the desktop, working around the obfsucation of the web.

Cheers

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>