Re: Proposing dependencies for gnome-games

Am Montag, den 22.10.2007, 11:24 +0200 schrieb Josef Spillner:
> Hello,
>
> gnome-games has for some time offered online gaming capabilities on top of the
> GGZ Gaming Zone platform. Three games are already working fine, a fourth one
> is currently being ported. As an upstream author of GGZ I'm very pleased to
> see this.
>
> However, gnome-games includes internal copies of all GGZ libraries in its SVN,
> with the justification of wanting to have GGZ support even if the distro in
> question doesn't have GGZ packages yet. Recently, a member of the Debian
> security team got very upset about this as this requires patching more
> packages.
> I share these concerns, especially since there are no major distros left that
> do not include recent GGZ packages.

I'm all for this, even if you will continue to include an internal copy
as long as you allow building/linking against an external version of it.
This would of course require you to not patch the internal GGZ copy to
much ;)
Of course dropping the internal copy is even better :)

Bundling bigger libraries is evil and especially for such network stuff
a great security problem...