Re: quick question regarding bonobo-activation-server-ior file

On Dom, 2007-09-02 at 13:09 +0100, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> On S� 2007-08-25 at 10:39 -0700, Gabriel M. Elder wrote:
> > My apologies if this is the wrong list.
> >
> > Would someone be so kind as to tell me what executable
> > and/or library is responsible for handling the corba
> > object reference file
> > /tmp/orbit-$USER/bonobo-activation-server-ior that
> > gets created when a user starts a gnome desktop
> > session? I'm assuming that this would be a
> > higher-level executable calling bonobo and/or orbit
> > library functions. I'm looking for the program
> > responsible for handling this file during the login
> > process, where it creates the file if it doesn't
> > exist, and where it decides to read in the file if it
> > does (to retrieve the object reference). BTW - what is
> > the relationship between this object reference and the
> > X virtual terminal number/assignment, and whence is
> > this relationship/association established and stored?
> > Is it stored in the bonobo-activation-server-ior file
> > itself, or is it handled by ORBit and/or bonobo?
> >
> > OK, so maybe these weren't such "quick questions"
> > after all... But it'd be a real time-saver and a big
> > help if someone would answer these. If you answer on
> > this list, or prefer that i redirect my question
> > elsewhere, please also cc: my personal email account,
> > so i get the message right away.
>
> Gabiral, quite simply /tmp/orbit-$USER/bonobo-activation-server-ior is
> created when bonobo-activation-server is started, which is a daemon that
> is automatically launched the first time a bonobo-activation API is
> called by any bonobo client.  It really could be just about any program,
> but most likely the first bonobo client to use bonobo is probably
> gnome-session; if not, gnome-panel or nautilus are other likely
> candidates.

I forgot to answer some questions.

There is no relationship at all between bonobo-activation-server and an
X session; bonobo-activation-server sometimes even keeps running after
your X session ends.

The code that launches bonobo-activation-server is in
libbonobo/bonobo-activation/bonobo-activation-fork-server.c.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro
"The universe is always one step beyond logic" -- Frank Herbert