Re: Git vs SVN (was: Can we improve things?)

[moving thread to d-d-l]

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 23:33 +0200, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 03:05:18PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > Because it is no longer possible to create new SVN modules easily, as it
> > was when we used CVS.  By "easily" I mean that it you want to create a
> > module, you don't need to ask anyone to do it for you.
>
> So ehr, we should have svn.gnome.org/svn/testingground ?
> (or whatever?)

I don't know how Subversion repositories work.  Why can't people simply
do

  svn import mynewmodule svn://svn.gnome.org/svn/mynewmodule

?

[Just tested it - doesn't work.]

[During the days of cvs.gnome.org, /cvs/gnome was group-writable by
member of the "cvsusers" group; that was enough for people to be able to
import new modules.  Not everyone had a full shell account; they were
restricted to cvs only.]

> > http://developer.gnome.org/tools/svn.html - which leads you to
> > http://developer.gnome.org/doc/tutorials/import.html if you want to
> > import your code, but THAT WON'T WORK because it still talks about "cvs
> > import".
>
> Feel free to fix it and point to NewSVNRepos.

Sure, I'll do that.  I was just describing the sort of experience that
developers get when trying to use our infrastructure.

[Straw poll: how many people here *don't* know that developer.gnome.org
is a module on SVN?  How many people don't know the corresponding module
name?]

> > "svn" in the search box.  Great, the first search hit is
> > http://live.gnome.org/NewSVNRepos - which tells you "mail an admin
> with
> > this list of requirements".  Download page?  Project homepage?  Come
> on,
> > this is my first "it barely works" release - I don't have all that
> set
> > up yet!
>
> Ehr? Doesn't it tell you that *if you have a GNOME SVN account*, we
> only
> care about *your GNOME SVN account and your requested module name*?

Sorry, where does it say that?

> if it doesn't, just mention this (it is a wiki:).

See, how was I supposed to know that?  I assume that whoever hands out
new repositories wrote the NewSVNRepos page and put accurate information
there.

  Federico