Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 14:00 +0200, �ienne Bersac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Gnome Scan, i generate ChangeLog using svn2cl. See
> http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gnome-scan/trunk/Makefile.am and ChangeLog:
> target. I also generate TODO from anjuta TODO.tasks. Note that
> generating ChangeLog makes it lag one commit behind. You have to commit
> and then update the ChangeLog.

I've done ChangeLog generation for a couple of projects, thought the
Makefile.am bits may be useful to some.  Both automatically update the
ChangeLog before make dist and take care of few other things.

With CVS, should be easy to update to svn:

http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/fribidi/fribidi2/Makefile.am?view=markup

With git for cairo:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=cairo;a=blob;h=99f5ed6010d752037d2b66a70a28f4ca20f7b454;hb=3f4875dbe20e1d093d70f49c32f7ddf6a6e6ef61;f=ChangeLog.mk

This one is actually way more advanced because 1) it caches ChangeLogs
up to certain tags to speed up future ChangeLog generations.  2) It
generates multiple ChangeLogs based on module version and release repo
tags.  For example for cairo it currently generates: ChangeLog.pre-1.0,
ChangeLog.pre-1.2, and ChangeLog.  When we release cairo 1.6, it will
automatically move some stuff from ChangeLog to ChangeLog.pre-1.4.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759