Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

Hi,

2007/9/18, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org>:
> On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 21:43 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 00:13 +0200, Jaap Haitsma wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Talking to Daniel "Cheese" Siegel we asked ourselves:
> > > Why do all GNOME projects have a ChangeLog file?
> > > Isn't it redundant when you just save a commit message.
> >
> > Because they communicate at different levels.
>
> Well, with the rule that all commits should have accompanying ChangeLog
> entries, there can't be much different levels of communication.

Well, one of the main arguments pro-DSCM is that it makes it
"stimulates" you to do quick commits of partial work while you're
working on a patch, for example. Those partial work commit messages
are (probably) not suitable for a ChangeLog entry. As a developer, I
surely don't want to see all those commit messages related to partial
work from others.

--lucasr