Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 00:02 +0200, BJ�Lindqvist wrote:

> That is simply not true. Checkout KDE
> (http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/), Python
> (http://svn.python.org/view/python/trunk/) or SDL
> (http://www.libsdl.org/cgi/viewvc.cgi/trunk/) just to take three
> random projects that uses Subversion without ChangeLogs. They all have
> excellent and detailed commit messages that explain *why* something is
> changed.

Sure, you can find examples of projects which are very careful with
things where others are not as careful.

(Myself, I tend to svn commit -m "`head -14 ChangeLog`" or whatever, and
it works really really well.)

> There is no rational reason why GNOME would need both ChangeLog and svn log.

In the end it really depends on the maintainer.  Yours truly won't take
patches for his modules if they don't come with a ChangeLog entry ;)

  Federico