Re: Why have a ChangeLog file if you already have commit messages?

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 23:06 +0200, Mikael Eriksson wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 03:30:25PM -0500, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > In ChangeLog terms, this means
> > religiously hitting "C-x 4 a" in Emacs (or whatever your editor uses)
> > every time you modify a function or bit of code.
>
> I have now seen a lot of references to "C-x 4 a" in this thread and the
> Distrirbutet SCM thread, so for those of us who doesn't use emacs can
> somebody please explain what this does?

It puts all the ChangeLog headers in place and starts you editing at the
right spot.

describing add-change-log-entry-other-window:

        add-change-log-entry-other-window is an interactive compiled
        Lisp function in `add-log.el'.
        It is bound to C-x 4 a.
        (add-change-log-entry-other-window &optional whoami file-name)

        Find change log file in other window and add entry and item.
        This is just like `add-change-log-entry' except that it displays
        the change log file in another window.

and describing add-change-log-entry:

        add-change-log-entry is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
        `add-log.el'.
        (add-change-log-entry &optional whoami file-name other-window
        new-entry)

        Find change log file, and add an entry for today and an item for
        this file.
        Optional arg whoami (interactive prefix) non-nil means prompt
        for user
        name and email (stored in `add-log-full-name' and
        `add-log-mailing-address').

        Second arg file-name is file name of the change log.
        If nil, use the value of `change-log-default-name'.

        Third arg other-window non-nil means visit in other window.

        Fourth arg new-entry non-nil means always create a new entry at
        the front;
        never append to an existing entry.  Option
        `add-log-keep-changes-together'
        otherwise affects whether a new entry is created.

        Option `add-log-always-start-new-record' non-nil means always
        create a
        new record, even when the last record was made on the same date
        and by
        the same person.

        The change log file can start with a copyright notice and a
        copying
        permission notice.  The first blank line indicates the end of
        these
        notices.

        Today's date is calculated according to `add-log-time-zone-rule'
        if
        non-nil, otherwise in local time.

--
Michael R. Head <burner suppressingfire org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/